During the session I’ve noticed that I tend to stay in one type of dynamic which is in my comfort zone to explore movement. Quirky, sharp, fast and sudden movements. These dynamics are added in my practice for my improvised solo. Performing these dynamics tension is held in parts of the body that are involved in the movement, creating a feeling of restriction. I felt the need to truly experience that feeling of restriction, to make a note on how my body movement changes, what happens in the body and also noticing where the tension is held, the following excises were used for this exploration.
Moving tension through each part of the body to recognize what happens in the body. Move each part of the body one by one from head to toe tensing and releasing, doing this wakens your awareness to that particular body part. Felt my body spreading and melting into the floor, gave some detail to the movement as I aimed to cover as much space as possible.
Wrapping my upper body tightly with a scarf, going deep into that feeling of restriction.
My exploration developed from restrictions and limitations, to breaking past these contexts that acquire in everyday living, standing between me and my destination. What is my destiny?
I've incorporated this question in my exploration whereby I question God. The exercise encouraged me to go deeper in my movement rather than embodying what I hear, expressing that truth in seeking answers, the desperation of wanting.
Observation Feedback
· Strong focus ( where I look in the space: high, low and audience)
· Different rhythms
· Detail through the body
· Allow moments of softness
· Finishing off the movement
For the solo and for my personal development, my goal is to allow my body to feel the sensation of being soft and graceful in my movement.
Looking back at the choreographic session where we focused on the positive and negative spaces our bodies create, I began to access potential movement through filling the spaces around me as well as the spaces the body creates. That day I felt drained and tied, so decided to work on the ground. Through this I discovered the softness in my moving which is the opposite to how I would usually work. Responding to the feedback, I allowed my body to feel that soft sensation.